What Is Alchemy?
Simply put, Alchemy is something new.
The lab is the nexus of numerous business processes. Customer opportunities come in from sales. Product line requirements come in from marketing. Labs do projects for both sales and marketing and run their own projects on top. Each sample has
a lifecycle within a project. Chemists are the driving force behind all of this work.
From a software standpoint, the information related to each of these business processes is disconnected and spread across different systems. CRM tracks the workflow of salespeople. LIMS tracks the workflow of samples. There isn’t great software
that properly tracks the non-linear workflow of projects and chemists. And no software has ever connected all four, until now.
ERP - typically SAP or mid-market competitors to manage everything from manufacturing, to financials, and HR.
ELN - legacy electronic lab notebook software is difficult to customize, wasn’t built for workflow automation, lacks intersected search, and it is difficult to re-use data contained within.
LIMS - laboratory information management systems primarily track samples, not projects or people.
Project Management Software - require manual data entry because actual status is buried in multiple disconnected systems.
Custom Applications - generally are not enhanced regularly enough to keep up with actual operations and they become less relevant and therefore less used over time.
CRM Software - isn’t designed to facilitate a spec-driven sample evaluation or customer co-creation which makes it difficult for sales to collaborate with the lab teams.
API Integrations - are required to connect all your siloed software together.
Chemical Drawing - isn't universally available and often is not integrated into ELN.
Workflow automation software - most companies don't have it in the lab today, but digitalizing lab processes is a core part of longer-term “Digital Transformation” strategy for most of the largest global enterprises.
But these current solutions aren’t going to help you compete in the
new era of competitive innovation. To accelerate innovation, improve customer service, and win more deals you need something new.
How Does Alchemy Do This?
Alchemy's core configuration engine quickly interprets requirements for lab workflows and renders custom applications that chemists use in their labs to do their work. These applications are based on each customer's unique ontology and feed a
custom semantic data model Alchemy defines specific to each customer.
As chemists work in Alchemy-generated applications, they enter, use, search, and reuse data from the system via a web UI. As they work, Alchemy stores, assigns meaning to, and establishes relationships across a clean, meaning-and relationship-rich,
digital dataset. The data in the system has meaning to the system, so the system can learn from it and you can run AI/ML. The architecture is depicted here.
Alchemy Technical Architecture
There isn’t great software that facilitates the non-linear workflow of lab projects and chemists. Here is an overview of common legacy software running in labs and their primary drawbacks:
- Can quickly accommodate your unique business processes and digitalize your best practices.
- Is easy for your employees to work in since it reflects their current processes, tests, analyses, forms, and their own corporate language.
- Is multitasking just like the formulas your demanding customers expect from you.
- Consolidates your valuable data into a single repository, so you can protect it and leverage it for future value in your business.
- Rationalizes your tech stack, so your company will have less software for IT to manage, enhance, and support.
- Is easy and quick to change and extend, so it can keep pace with your business.
- Easily integrates with your other software (e.g., ERP) so your data can flow through to the right people and processes without getting lost or corrupted along the way.
- Easily integrates with your lab equipment and other systems so that your staff doesn’t waste time transcribing data or moving data from tool to tool (e.g. Excel to statistical software to word or electronic lab notebook software for reporting).
- Measures business process improvements over time.
What Are the Business Benefits of Alchemy’s Architecture?
Alchemy’s architecture enables significant customization without sacrificing speed and gives you a holistic view of your lab operations for optimization.
You can quickly build and edit a library of custom applications via simple web UI. These custom applications are based on your actual chemist workflows, so you can optimize at multiple levels: opportunity, project, project type, project stage,
task, chemist, or formula.
Alchemy collects data from chemists as they do their work, and can ingest relevant data from CRM and from lab equipment directly or from LIMS. This enables you to aggregate, relate, and analyze lab data holistically across all of your lab operations.
What Are the Technical Benefits of Alchemy’s Architecture?
Alchemy is powerful relative to legacy apps which are based on fixed data models. Our primary technical advantages are that we enable:
- Speedy generation of a custom semantic data model, workflows (i.e., custom applications), and rules for each customer based on their chemistries, products, processes, organizational structure and geographic dispersion via web UI.
- Editing of all components via web UI that can be pushed to production in real-time.
- Built-in reporting engine across all data types, time, and workflows.
- Backward compatibility of configuration changes to maintain reporting integrity.
- Centralized management of your library of applications, ontology and data relationships.
- Centralized digital dataset on which to run AI/ML.
- Time-stamped activity tracking for compliance.
Alchemy’s proprietary workflow engine addresses both the uniqueness of the industry and your company’s proprietary processes. Alchemy generates custom applications for you to digitally execute your innovation, product development and service delivery
processes, however you define them. We build into your unique workflows the functionality you would normally access in separate tools and software, so that people using Alchemy have access to both the data and the tools to do their job efficiently
in one application.
Alchemy is a next-generation application platform that transcends the capabilities of "legacy" software to which the industry has become accustomed. Alchemy solves multiple technical and operating challenges by generating a custom ontology, semantic
data model, and rule set for each customer on which their custom applications are generated. For the first time, companies can centrally manage and optimize across diversified lab operations and lab staff can be empowered with access to clean,
meaningful, and relationship-rich data at scale.
- Legacy ELN
- Custom Applications
- Project Management Software
- Chemical Drawing - isn't universally available and often is not integrated into ELN
- API Integrations
- Workflow Automation Software
Invest in technology that will help you compete
- IDC, Interact, McKinsey & Co.